Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Death of a President

Gerald Ford died last night at the age of 93.

They showed a recent film clip of a very frail Ford walking with President George W. Bush. When did he get so old?

I remember the uncertainty as he took office. Imagine, the United States of America being led by someone that we did not even elect as Vice President!! But, there was mass relief at closing the ugly book on Richard Nixon's Watergate scandal, followed by public shock at having the nasty book ripped from our hands, as he gave Nixon a full pardon. Mostly, I remember him tripping as he climbed down the steps of Air Force One.

What I don't remember is the fast forward to the old man that succumbed to death last night. He made quite a journey in his life. Over the next few days, diplomats and members of the press will say nice things about him and his 2 years in office. His wife Betty of over 50 years has already made an elegant statement. His children, grandchildren and great grandchildren will gather to pay honor. The nation, and the world, will watch.

I wonder if he would count his two years as President as the pinnacle of his life? He touched the world, and in touching it, left his unique impression on it. But I wonder if, perhaps to him, the legacy he left in his family had more value. He and Betty molded their family in their image. Their descendants still bear that shape.

Most of us will never get to be President of the United States. But my children do bear my image. (That is not always a wonderful thing, but it is what it is!) Perhaps I have the opportunity to modify the shape slightly in the life of my grandson. My time on this journey is going by quickly, but I will be remembered by those who remain when I am gone. I wonder what type of legacy I will leave?

No comments: